Contiguous Parishes (Our neighbours)
All Cannings - Bishops Cannings - Devizes St. John - Etchilhampton - Potterne
Websites of Interest
University of Leicester's - Website for historical Wiltshire directories
St. James Parish Website - Parish Information
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
The Parish Church of St. James
The church is first mentioned in 1461 as being on the Green and was sometimes called the Green Church. The dedication to St. James is known by 1505. The church may occupy the site of the hospital chapel of St. James and St. Denis, which had gone by 1338. Originally the church was a chapel in Bishop's Cannings parish but it had its own graveyard for burials by 1505 and christenings and marriages were taking place by 1572. The church seems to have been built in the early 15th century with a chancel, nave with continuous aisles, a south porch and a west tower. There were some lancet windows of the 13th century that possibly came from the original chapel. [Source: Wiltshire Community History] St. James Church Photo Gallery
The church interior has been modernised in recent times but retains its ancient impressiveness. It is a very busy church commanding two Sunday morning services both of which are normally full. From the amount of memorials to to the Wiltshire Regiment within the church it would appear that many of the battalion worshipped here over the years. Images of some of these memorials can be found in the document and gallery below.
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers held at WSHC
The Crammer Pond is reputably that most associated with the Moonraker Legend
1837 - Present Devizes Registration District
Buildings and Land
Devizes Poor House and Lunatic Asylum were in this parish.
Crime and Legal Matters
Proceedings in Chancery Elizabeth I Era (1558-1603)
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Wiltshire Society Apprentices
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Census Returns Transcripts
1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 1901 1911
County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner. Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder of manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d. From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence. Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1. These costs were to be paid from the county rates. In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d. The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval. Coroners Bills 1752-1796
Elections and Polls
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
The parish was the location of the Devizes Union Workhouse. Poor Law covers the whole of the area covered by the Workhouse Catchment Area.
Poor Law Supplies Contracts & Tenders
Workhouse Supplies and Tenders
War, Conflict and Military Matters
British Red Cross/VAD Volunteers