Text Size

Tuesday, 07 February 2012 02:11

Coulston - OPC Vacancy

Written by 
Rate this item
(8 votes)
East Coulston - St. Thomas A Becket East Coulston - St. Thomas A Becket

Coulston Photo Gallery

Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)

Edington - Erlestoke - Imber - Keevil


Websites of Interest

Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies 
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.


The Parish Church of St. Thomas A Becket

The earliest mention of the Church is in 1214, but the building probably dates from the late 12th century. The dedication of the church was originally to St. Andrew, but since 1786 has been known as the church of St Thomas a Becket (St. Thomas of Canterbury). The Becketts were considerable landowners in the area for may years after the reformation (16th Century), and this may account for the change of name. Houses in Edington and West Lavington still retain their name.   [source: St. Thomas Church Booklet]

Incumbents List c1300 - 2003

Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1714-1974
Marriages 1714-1994
Burials  1714-1992


Parish History

Couslton (Covelestone in the Domesday book, 1086) has a population of about 160.

Coulston lies to the South West of Devizes.  In 1316 the village was known as Coulston Chamberlayne after the brothers who owned lands here during the 14th Century.  Until 1934 the village was known as East Coulston when it merged with the adjacent hamlet of West Coulston situated in the parish of Edington.  The combined village and hamlet then became known as Coulston.

Civil Registration

1837 - April 1936 Westbury Registration District
April 1936 - present Warminster Registration District


Buildings and Land

Game Licenses 1846          Owners of Land 1873           Sale of Dairy Stock of Coulston Farm 1890


Ordnance Surveyor's Drawings 1808-1811


Crime and Legal Matters

Dispute over Rabbits & Game 1846 Killing of Rabbits Charges 1846 Child Abuse 1858
Brute of Mother-in-law 1858    



Post Office 1855



Closure of East Coulston School 1895


Emigration and Migration

Strays Index 


Employment and Business

Gamekeepers Certificates 1807                General Medical Council Registrations 1859-1959                 Shepherds Prizes 1886


Miscellaneous Documents


Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship


People and Parish Notables

Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies

Wiltshire Friendly Society Membership 1827-1871           Wiltshire Friendly Society Membership 1827-1871 (East)         

Census Returns Transcripts

East Coulston 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 1901 1911
West Coulston 1841 1851            



Coroners Bills

County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner.  Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder of manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d.   From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence.  Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1.  These costs were to be paid from the county rates.  In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d.  The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval.            Coroners Bills 1752-1796 (East Coulston)

Elections and Polls

Poll Book 1818 (East)          Voters List 1832 (East)               Voters Lists Revisions 1843 (East)                MP Nominations 2015

Inquest Reports

George Wallis 1867

Parish Notables

Mary Delaney 1700- 1788 - Artist and Writer        

Personal Research Items

Drewett/Druit Family

Descendants of John Druit 1750

Tuck Research

Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - This item was donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such.  Many refer to Quaker burials found across the county


Falstone Day Book 1645-1653 

Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse

Workhouse Provisions & Clothing Tenders 1846                 Poor Law Union Audit 1849



Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held

John Danvers 1626               Charles Danvers 1627               James, Earl of Marlborough 1633                Henry, Earl of Marlborough 1638


War, Conflict and Military Matters

Why the Poppy               Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book 1914-1918



Read 5729 times Last modified on Tuesday, 05 November 2019 12:42

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.

Security code

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive plugin by www.channeldigital.co.uk