Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Ansty - Berwick St. John - Donhead St. Mary - Semley - Tisbury (Wardour)
Websites of Interest
Duncan and Mandy Ball's - Website for photographs of St Andrew's Church.
GenUKI - For information relating to Wiltshire and Donhead St. Andrews.
Map of Donhead St Andrew - Streetmap.
Gurd and Associated Families - One Name Study.
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies.
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
The Parish Church of St. Andrew
The church of St Andrew lies almost hidden from sight in the valley bottom near a small bridge. The chantry was founded in 1327. In the east window are the arms of Shaftesbury Abbey, whilst other windows are dedicated to members of the family of the rector William Dansey, who died 1856. Among the memorials is that of Captain John Cooke RN, who was killed commanding HMS Bellerophon at the Battle of Trafalgar. His widow Louisa and their only daughter Louisa Charlotte continued to live at Donhead Lodge for some years before moving to Cheltenham. There is another memorial commemorating the 'consummate skill and bravery' of John Cooke in St Paul's cathedral.
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers Held at WSHC
In the Dunworth Hundred of Wiltshire, a few miles east of Shaftesbury, the sister villages of Donhead St Andrew and Donhead St Mary merge and nestle between a maze of small winding roads and steep hills. The River Nadder arises between the two villages and flows north before joining the River Sem on its eastward journey towards Salisbury. Beyond the old turnpike road, now the A30, and to the south of the parish, lies Ferne, once seat of the Grove family. After centuries of occupation on the site, the house built by Thomas Grove in 1811 and later re-modelled by his grandson, Thomas Fraser Grove, was finally demolished by 1966. Today, a new house, Ferne Park, stands on the site, built in 2001 in the Palladian style for 4th Viscount Rothermere, to the design of architect Quinlan Terry. The much earlier ancestral home of the Grove family was Berrycourt, now Lower Berrycourt Farm. Apart from the two churches, this beautiful house is thought to be the oldest building in "Donhead". Once it was the demesne farm house and the boundary between the two parishes was deliberately detoured to run through the middle of the house, enabling the official business of both parishes to be held in one room. To the north and east lies another famous ancestral seat, Wardour, for many centuries home to the Arundell family.
The Donheads Past and Present, by Michael Coward, David Mclean, Rex Sawyer, Christine Speak, The Hobnob Press, 2007
Victoria County History of Wiltshire, Volume 13, D A Crowley (Ed), 1987
The History of Donhead, by Diana Ladas. Available to read as reference only from Salisbury Local Studies Library and Wilts & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham
1837 - April 1936 Tisbury Registration District
April 1936 - January 1978 Mere Registration District
January 1978 - Present Salisbury Registration District
The Diaries of Charlotte Grove
Those researching families in Berwick St John, the Donheads and other surrounding parishes may be interested to learn about The Diaries of Charlotte Grove. Charlotte (1783-1860), the daughter of Thomas Grove of Ferne, married the rector of Berwick St John, Richard Downes. Her surviving diaries, within the period 1811-1858, include entries mentioning a great many parishioners and other individuals from every section of society - lords and ladies, clergymen, tenant farmers, shopkeepers, tradesmen, agricultural labourers and paupers. Further details can be found at The Diaries of Charlotte Grove
Buildings and Land
Crime and Legal Matters
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Apprentice records published here may not necessarily mean that the apprentice was from the parish but was apprenticed to a master within the parish.
Agriculture and Land
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Associations, Clubs, Organisations, Societies and Sport
Census Returns Transcripts
Elections and Polls
Captain John Cooke, Naval Officer Frank Hugh Hann, Explorer William Hann, Explorer
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held
War, Conflict and Military Matters
General Military Items
Books of Remembrance and War Memorials